The Cathedral of St. Stephan in Hvar town (left) stands on the eastern side of the main
square. It was built on the site of an early 6th century church. Present appearance the Cathedral
received in the 16th and 17th century.
The arsenal in Hvar town (right) was built in the 13th century. The theatre was built on the
first floor of the arsenal in 1612. It is one of the oldest in Europe and the first municipal one as well.
The Franciscan monastery in Hvar town (left) was built in 15th century as a retreat for sailors.
Within the monastery there are the artifacts exhibited in the monastery collection which is
also the oldest on the island. It consists of paintings, manuscripts, old coins and incunabula.
Hvar town loggia and a clock tower (right) from the 15th century together are the
only remains of the former Governor's Palace
The Hektorović Palace in Hvar town (left) is one of the finest late Gothic houses. The building
of the Palace started in 1463 and was never completed.